RE: Dist. Cap

To: <DrMayf@aol.com>, <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>, <larry.p@erols.com>
Subject: RE: Dist. Cap
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 10:56:46 -0700
Mayf,

Like any subject, there are a range of opinions. Here are some I found on
the Web:

        http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/tech_spark_plug_gap.htm

        http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/TECHSAT.HTM

        http://www.purehonda.com/cool/spark.html

        http://www.extrememotorsports.com/plugfaq.htm

        http://www.torontokartclub.com/tt_plugs.html

        http://www.xfile.f9.co.uk/spark_plugs.htm

While I don't guarantee the complete veracity of these articles, I have only
picked those that seem to be credible. Taken as a whole, I have the
impression after reading these that I may want to reduce my gap below the
.055" gap I've been using all these years, just to be on the safe side. I
will probably gap them to .050" the next time I install a new set.

I think that gap only matters when you are operating near an extreme. For
example, at very lean conditions, or at idle especially with a high overlap
cam. Your "engine man" probably knows the plugs out of the box come with a
consistent and reasonable, machine-set gap and you are a lot more likely to
screw it up than help it. And even supposing you could get another 1%
horsepower out of the motor by tweaking them, what would that buy you? Your
horsepower requirement goes as the cube of the speed, so an increase of 1%
(.01) will produce an increase in top speed of 0.01^3, or only .0001%. Yes,
I would agree this is "not an issue".

Glad to see you are having fun.

Best regards,

Bob