Re: Rearend Setup? HELP

To: Tom Witt <wittsend@jps.net>
Subject: Re: Rearend Setup? HELP
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 16:15:59 -0800
Tom,

Sounds like you've thought this through fairly carefully, so the
following information is for general knowledge.

The recommended stretching tool, Fig. 6, Tool SL.1-A, page 5, Section G
is a parallel arm stretching frame, attached to the axle on each side of
the carrier case with a bolt on a plate.  The plates are joined by
double-bar end pieces, and one has a center threaded section with a
center hex for adjusting length.  The Dial indicator is positioned
across the case opening, and the amount of spread to 0.007 inches.  That
is all you need, or should have for fitting,  without deforming the
housing.

Two other methods, 2 using compression, instead of stretching, with a
regular Churchill press and a large screw compressor, depend on
compression, rather than stretching.  The bearing area on the case must
be spread to avoid deforming the case housing.  The same 0.007 spread
applies.

The last method Uses a Hammer, and is NOT recommended, and neither are
the popular tire irons or crow bars.

Most 4 WD shops have the correct units, and can do this job right, but
if you have the press, and the manual, for fixture design, and the dial
indicators with mounting for at least a 4" length measurement, then
you'll be OK following the instructions.

I''ve had a quote from the best shop in town for a complete R&R of the
Rear axle, disassembly, and installation of a Limited Slip Differential
(Jaguar Dana & my 2.88), for $350, excluding any required bearings, or
seals.   This avoids the issue of getting the hub off, too. and setting
the end float and pinion adjustment.  Since I am using the same pinion
and gears in the same housing, I an hopping the existing shim pack is
correct, but would change the front seal anyway.

Good luck, and have you considered an LSD while your in there?

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

http://www.TigersUnited.com/gallery/SteveLaifman.asp

                            _/
                     _/_/_/