RE: Eau De Gasoline

To: Bruce Childers <bruce_childers@yahoo.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Eau De Gasoline
From: David Demyan <ddemyan@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 13:11:59 -0400
Bruce,

I had to alter the exhaust on one of my Tigers to get rid of
gas and exhaust smell. Being a '60s brute, the engine passes
quite a bit of unburned hydrocarbon out the exhaust (raw
gasoline). The aerodynamics of the rear of the Tiger is such
that when you are cruising, these fumes get sucked back up
into the cockpit.

An exhaust pro talked me into modifying the pipes to vent the
fumes out the side, just aft of the rear tires. This worked
like a charm, since there is no backflow up from the side of
the body.

Now, I'm not necessarily recommending this approach to all
owners!! That Tiger was a daily driver and I simply could not
show up for work smelling like a gas jockey. The original
balogny-cut pipes are the only thing to use in rehabs.

Dave

Stu Brennan's message prompts me to send this. Yea, this is a silly
question, but....

Ah, after a ride in the Tiger, I exit with a new perfume--gasoline
and exhaust.  I have done a visual inspection of fuel lines, tanks,
and carb. No trouble spotted, and no bubbles when trying the air
bubble test. But in the back of my mind, I worry and think about the
day when.....well, never mind, I don't want to think that.

The fuel smell is reasonably pronounced (it's always been like this
since buying it last spring). I want to sleep worry free at night.
Any other ways to further convince myself I'm not gonna have a Tiger
BBQ?  (Besides seeing a therapist.)
<<<<