Re: power glide in a tiger?

To: cvaught@hawaii.rr.com
Subject: Re: power glide in a tiger?
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 17:02:06 -0400
At 12:28 AM 4/27/2001 -1000, you wrote:
>i am ready to swap the 342 from my mustang to the tiger so i can bracket race
>it. i have came across a great deal on an electrically shifted powerglide that
>i would like to install in my tiger. (chevy--puke) i need consistency and the
>old 4 speed wont cut it.
>thanks
>chris in mississippi

Chris,
        Be sure to check the length of the transmission as well as
the diameter close to the end.  The X member in the Tiger does not
allow much room for big transmissions.  For example I checked and
determined that a C6 or an AOD Ford transmission would be a big
problem with X member interference.  I therefore used a C4 behind
my 351C.  The transmission tunnel will probably have to be removed
and replaced for any automatic.  The area around the tork converter
is much bigger on a C4 than the bell housing of a manual transmission.
Better check this clearance for your "transmission".
        Of course if you are serious, then the complete floor of the Tiger
will be removed and the frame replaced with Tig welded 1 3/4" chrome
molly.  In this case you will have all the room you design in.
        By the way, if you expect to run under NHRA rules, then you
will NOT run.  The Tiger wheel base is too short for NHRA rules for
modified cars.  NHRA has so many rules that the breed of your puppy
may have an impact as well.;-)

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others