RE: Re:Clutch Problems

To: <rkegg@juno.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Re:Clutch Problems
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 00:14:10 -0700
Randy,

Well, it looks like I've got (K)egg on my face this time. ;-(     It never
occurred to me that anyone could or would adjust the rod long enough to
bottom out in the cylinder. I guess we can just chalk this one up to another
DPO. However, anything less than bottomed out is all the same; the clutch
arm just pushes the piston back into the cylinder as far as it needs to,
just like the piston on your disk brakes, etc. While we are on the subject
though, you have been driving all this time with pressure on the throwout
bearing - not good. To ensure that the throwout is never under pressure, I
suggest you add a pull-back spring to pull the clutch arm just a skosh
farther. That way you add a little more free pedal, but you're sure the
throwout bearing is always loose.

Hope you enjoy the new car - maintenance free - for a long while.

Bob