Scary moment

To: "List, Tiger" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Scary moment
From: John Slade <edalsj@igs.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 19:03:26 -0400
Thought I would relay my morning's event. Took the Tiger out to do my
local chores. At the end of my short road, not going very fast, I
applied the brakes, and there was an immediate loud clunk from the right
rear and the right rear wheel locked solid. I naturally came to a
complete stop, but then the car started to roll backwards down the
slight slope. Put on the handbrake, got out and inspected but could see
nothing wrong. Got back in the car, could now move ahead easily, so made
a big loop and headed home. On the way, I applied the brakes
again...another loud clunk, and again the right rear seized solid. Came
to a rest, engaged reverse and was able to back up. Could then move
forward, so returned to my garage.

Removed the wheel and drum, and immediately after the drum came off out
fell the lining from the trailing shoe, which had clearly become
un-bonded from the metal shoe. I'm not exactly sure what mechanism was
at work that allowed the wheel to go backwards but not forwards after
braking, but I had clearly identified the source of the problem. There
were no rivets in this lining, only the remains of some sort of
yellowy/amber bonding material.

The local auto parts store could not locate any suitable shoes in town,
so I spent 30 minutes going through my boxes from past Alpines, and the
box of bits which came with the Tiger. I found 6 shoes in various
conditions, but a set of two with almost new linings (rivetted) which I
installed. After adjusting the rear brakes both sides, the brakes were
better than before. Of concern, in the box of Tiger bits which came with
the car, there was a bare metal trailing shoe, presumably the mate to
the one with which I had just had the problem. Clearly one of the
previous owners had had the same problem with these bonded shoes earlier.

For what it's worth. I'm glad this happened near home, and not when I
was barrelling down the highway.

John Slade
Manotick, ON