RE: Ford Fans

To: "'FunbeamChuck'" <FunbeamChuck@home.com>
Subject: RE: Ford Fans
From: Bill Holden <bill.holden@baesystems.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 14:54:32 -0400
F'beam,

Recall one day a summer ago on a 90+ degree day in VA, together we
experienced what I thought was one of the most serious Tiger cooling
challenges, the Colonial Lighthouse for Blind Br car touring event.  That
had us in a long procession of cars, stopping or often in go-slow modes
through several locals and Town of Vienna.   Neither of us 'puked' (boiled
over!) yet I never saw temps on my gauge less than the 100C mark for the
duration of that run, often swinging to midway or more btwn the 100C and the
full pegged marks.   I viewed this as normal operation for the conditions
imposed then as my cooling is all stock - the fan, radiator, shrouds, no
elec boost fan, no special under hood blocking to control air flow - and,
again, never any coolant pukes.

Yet, you already operate with some cooling advantages - a elec boost fan + a
LAT scooped & vented hood and perhaps have incorporated some of the air flow
control experiments.  I'm curious just what happened/what conditions existed
at the time which resulted in "the Funbeam has objected once".  I'm
suspicious that some very unusual circumstances occurred on that "once"
occasion where another type mechanical fan isn't going to buy you much
insurance against it happening again, old pal.

$0.02 worth from an old & moldy M.E.