Charge it

To: Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Charge it
From: Scott Minton <sminton2000@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 20:13:58 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Again,

Lately I have noticed that as the my car heats up the
alternator output seems to diminish as measured on the
voltmeter.  At idle (~800 RPM) just after start up the
meter indicates ~13 volts.  As the temp rises the
readings drop down to 10-11 volts. Putting a hand held
meter on the back of the alternator and on the battery
terminals produce the same results.

I bypassed the voltage regulator and the readings on
the guage jumped up to 14+.  Thinking I had found the
problem, I replaced the regulator.  With the new
regulator installed I get the same readings as with
the original regulator.  What gives?  I'm sure I'm
missing something simple.  Is it just a bad
alternator? If so why the change with the regulator
bypassed?

FYI- It is a cheap O'Reilly reman Ford alternator.  I
don't think I have any abnormal electrical loads (i.e.
stereo, accessories) that would require a hi amp unit.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks in
advance.

Scott Minton
66 Mk1a

P.S. Thanks to all who responded to my CAT spring
questions.  The advice was helpful!
http://phonecard.yahoo.com/