Re: Axle Pulling

To: SLaifman@socal.rr.com
Subject: Re: Axle Pulling
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 22:17:54 EDT
I pulled my left rear axle in order to replace a bent hub.
I remember the mechanic using a large puller and a
5 lb precision adjustment tool.  After several hits, the
hub separated with a bang.  I discovered he had
mushroomed out the end of the axle and the axle nut
would not go back on.  I then used a small precision
file and recut the threads.  Got the new hub complete
with wheel lugs from the infamous Joe Mazzei.

Next time the mechanic said to put a die on backwards
on the axle before banging away.  Then the die could recut
the axle threads.

The mechanic said he had seen hubs fly all the way
across a shop and recommends to leave the axle
nut loosely on to keep it safe.  Of course the die
will do the job.

Dave Johnson, B382003668 (under repair) Aurora, IL