Re: FW: Synthetic Oil

To: Michael Lane Hobson <wiseowl1@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: FW: Synthetic Oil
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 16:46:51 -0700
Michael,

Ran my rebuilt tranny 1,000 miles on gear oil, drained it out, with any
pieces worn off the new edges, and replaced with Mobil 1. It was $10/qt.

In the hope that I am not repeating this warning by singling it out for
visibility:

I have heard that it is NOT a good idea to change to a synthetic oil on
a car (engine or transmission) that has many miles on multigrade oils.
These oils, and others, have detergent additives to keep deposits in
solution for draining while changing oils. They also permeate seals and
deposits.

A synthetic oil, I have been told, can clean out these permeation and
oil/deposit combinations, and they will be removed from all the seals
and gaskets. This "gunk" just may be the only thing preventing a leak,
and you will be bleeding from new wounds.

I have no direct knowledge of the accuracy of this view, and it may be
an urban legend, but I have heard many say to use it on fresh engines only.

--
Steve Laifman        < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

                          _/
                     _/_/_/