Re: oil leak answers

To: Scott Minton <sminton2000@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: oil leak answers
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 20:02:58 -0400
At 09:01 PM 8/27/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>One other item.  Oil pressure is around 60 psi when
>cold.  Once the engine heats up it drops to 20 - 40
>depending on rpm.  Does this sound right?  The 60
>seems high. Could that high pressure be causing my
>leak?
>
>As always thanks in advance.
>
>Scott Minton
Scott,
        My 351C had 60 PSI cold or hot until I lost a
cam lobe.  I replaced the cam and the oil pressure was
60 cold and 20-40 hot, just as you indicated.  I replaced
the main and rod bearings and I have had 60 PSI cold or
hot even down to 800 RPM or up to 6000 RPM.  I have a high
volumn pump.
    If your crank is smooth, then replace the bearings
with the same size that was in the Tiger and you may find
the oil pressure comes back.  60 PSI is ideal from my point
of view.  If you want to get fancy, use Plastigague to
check your bearing clearances before changing the bearings.
     Since the Tiger pan can come off without lifting the
motor, it is not such a big job.  Easier than a Mustang.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others