Re: Messed up F4B

To: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Messed up F4B
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@home.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 08:23:23 -0700
At 07:51 PM 9/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Hey, all:
>
>I've got a problem that I hope does not become the demise of the Edelbrock F4B

snip

>I have two questions.  First, is it possible to successfully helicoil the temp
>sender hole in the intake, knowing that it will be under constant temp and
>pressure loads while the engine is running?

         Andy - a 5/8 - 18 (straight - not tapered)  stainless Helicoil
will work just fine for this repair.  I've done it several times to
eliminate the necessity of the typical brass adapter. The OEM sender has
this type and size of straight threads.  With the F4B you'll want to use
the hole closest to the distributor because if you use the put the sender
in the hole near the thermostat the heater water outlet in the other hole
will make that connection  too close to the distributor cap.  You'll also
want to cut about 50% of the threads off the top of the insert before you
attempt to thread it into the manifold.  That way its about the same depth
as the manifoId thickness.  I use blue Locktite on the insert as you
install.  I then insert the sender into the hole with more Locktite on the
threads.  A little goes a long way.  I do like to use a small tight fitting
copper washer on the sender to bottom out on the manifold. Tighten it down
and wait 24 hours for the sealant to cure, before adding coolant and
running the engine.  Always had good electrical contact and never a leak.
I wrote this up in a Tech Tip for the STOA Newsletter a couple of years ago.
Tom