RE: Bugs

To: "'Michael Lane Hobson'" <wiseowl1@pacbell.net>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Bugs
From: "Palmer, Robert L." <RPalmer@brobeck.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 15:13:12 -0700
Dave,

Here's some background on the bumblebees can't fly story:

Bumblebees CAN fly! The oft heard ridicule of scientists that say a bumble
cannot fly because its wings are too small, in spite of the evidence of
their own eyes, is based on a misrepresentation of an incident that occurred

in the 1930s. McMasters (in the Amer. Sci. 77:164-169) reports that a noted
Swiss professor of aerodynamics at a dinner party with biologists was asked
about the aerodynamics of wasp and bee wings. He performed some calculation
for the bumblebee based on a smooth wing and got a low Reynolds number
"proving" the bee incapable of flight. He obviously knew that the
calculations were simplistic, and later (after examining a wing under a
microscope and noting the bent and folded nature of the wing), corrected his

error, but like the news media of today, the correction received little
notice.

I also have an anecdote about the C-119 "Flying Boxcar". A fellow I worked
with many years ago was in the Air Force Reserves. He was on a heavily
loaded C-119 and they attempted to take off, but couldn't get up enough
speed and the pilot aborted the take-off. They tried again, and again the
take-off had to be aborted. When they said they were going to make a third
attempt, my colleague demanded to be let off the plane. He jumped to the
ground, pulled the rip cord on his chute and walked across the runway
trailing the chute behind him. His explanation was that the C-119 was never
going to get high enough for him to use his chute.

Bob