Zoom.....!! ????

Subject: Zoom.....!! ????
From: SJC Worldwide <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 15:35:02 -0700
I had the Tiger dyno'd,  timed and re-jetted about a week ago at
Superior Automotive in Anaheim, California. What an awesome shop. They
really seem to know what they're doing. I can now rev all the way up to
the red line (around 6,000 RPM) under a full load without pinging. Rear
wheel HP at 5200 RPM was 216 and max torque at 3500 RPM was 278. which
was OK, but not as much as I'd hoped for. The problem, I was informed,
is that with my 10:5 or so compression, I need more than 91 octane and
they had to set the timing waaaay back to prevent pinging. They said
that just the recent drop in California from 92 down to 91 octane means
timing has to be set 7-8 degrees back in the wrong direction on my car,
and that with real 92 or above octane I could probably pick up another
30-40 net HP and 30-50 lbs. of torque by being able to set the timing
ahead where it should be. They've seen this negative result in a bunch
of hot rods they do where people have come in, complaining of pinging,
just since the octane change.

Which brings me to octane boosters. They recommended I try a product
called "Liquid Horsepower" which uses a new technology and actually
produces a measurable octane increase, as opposed to some other products
out there. They don't sell it so the recommendation has some merit, it
seems. Has anyone tried this product, or any others, with good (or bad)
results? I don't want to start pouring stuff back there and dissolve any
more of that black rubber lining in my 35 year old fuel tanks.

Steve Sage
1967 MK1A 289