Re: Nylon timing gears?!

To: "Eric Gibeaut" <sunbeams@sc.rr.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Nylon timing gears?!
From: Curtis Fisher <Curtis.Fisher@trw.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 23:58:00 -0700
In 1975 at McNally Pass Alaska at 40 degrees below zero in the middle of
nowhere, my 1970 Pontiac Lemans GTO slipped its timing gear. Some weeks
later, as I tore down the engine to find why I had no compression, the
problem was obvious.  A nylon gear with little or no teeth.
Sorry for the non-Tiger content, it was a special memory.

Curtis
defrosting in California

At 06:08 PM 10/13/01 -0700, Eric Gibeaut wrote:

> Help!
> This Spring my trusty old 1975 Bronco with 150,000 miles on it's 302
> stopped
> dead because of stripped nylon timing gears.  Several bent valves,
> much work
> and $$$ later the Bronco is fine. This leads to my question....
> my 1965 Tiger has 120,000 miles on the original, never opened up 260.
>   Did
> Ford use nylon timing gears on the Tiger engines and is this a grenade
> with
> the pin half-way out waiting to explode?!
> thanks for your help
> Eric

<<<<