FW: Discrepancies and the CA DMV

To: "'tigers'" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Discrepancies and the CA DMV
From: "Adin,David" <DavidAdin@mercydurango.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 14:33:25 -0600
Hi kids,
I bought a Calif. "black" plate car and brought it back here to my beloved
Colorado to dream about during the winter . . . . .

So, me and my dumb @$$ gets to the DMV (surpringly with all the correct
papers) thinking I could get a plate and be on my merry way.

When you quit laughing, I'll tell you . . . . the rest of the story.

Well, Billy Bob was out that day, sighting in his gun for elk season.  Billy
Bob being the only male in the office (read between the lines as you will, I
won't say it.) and the designated "figure out the out of state plate mess
and verify your VIN #" person.  So, the unlucky but charmingly plump "office
mgr" says she will verify my VIN for me.

"Well, what kind of car is it?"
"I never heard of one of them."
"What year did you say it was?"
"Its a cute little thing . . . imagine all that motor in that tiny litte car
. . "

Being the brave soul that I am, and veteran of many Colorado winters (I have
seen mastodons!) I was as nice and charming to this extra soft creature as I
could be.

The Calif. title said Ihad a 1966 Rootes . . . VIN # XXXB and the rest but
not LXFRE at the end.  So, the make is wrong, the VIN # is gawd knows what
and my darling public servant doesn't know what's going on, THEN sees the
Lister VIN tag  . . . . .

Slowly, and in the best Book of NOrman-ese I explain the whole history,
starting w/ Ol Shel's being raised on a chicken farm in Texas . . LeMans . .
. Henry Ford . . . Lord Sunbeam . . . Rootes . . . Lister plant . . . Is
that your little girl? . . . Point to where it actually says on the car
"Sunbeam" and "Tiger" . . .Are we gonna have a hard winter? . . .Explain how
I only paid 900$ cause its such an old car . . . You look good in green . .
. Dragging the beast back across the desert w/ the motor in the back of my
pickumup truck . . .and ask her if she gets very good benefits, being a
public servent and all.

Back into the office, Public Servent Ms. Plump is off to the store room to
recover a box of very dusty kelley blue books. (and I'm pooping bricks,
sorry.)

My friend actually finds a 1966 Kelley Blue Book (and besides the little
side trip cause she can't spell "Sunbeam- funny, no "o")
She finally says, "Well, Billy Bob's (gonna get hate mail, I'm thinking -
gun or no.) not here today . . . Its says in the book they actually made
these cars (as if seeing the red beast didn't prove that) and you explained
it to me . . . . (call the ER - I'm having a major STROKE!) . . . . . I'll
just go ahead and change the VIN so it matches the car and while I'm at it
make it a "Sunbeam Tiger" and by the way, we only charge $50 use tax on
these old cars.  Is that ok?

Let me tell you, when I see that chubbly litte seraphim at the Farmer's
Market or the Coop I get on my knees and bow down chanting "I'm not worthy,
I'm not worthy" in praise, thanks and admiration.

(My friend had to take the body off of his 36 Ford to find a vin tag . . . .
.truck and trailer . . . "Yes suh, Mr. Billy Bob suh.")

For gosh sake, get it right.  It could be, well, exciting if you don't.

I wonder if Billy Bob got his elk . . . .