Re: [Fwd: Question for seller -- Item #597203138]

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, "Frank Marrone" <marrone@wco.com>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Question for seller -- Item #597203138]
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 21:21:30 -0800
Frank wrote:
"The timed auction on eBay has many faults including the last minute bid
scenario if the reserve is known."
  Frank as was the case in the email that started all this I think the
potental buyer was looking to see if the reserve price was low enough to
keep his interest. People are curious and if the reserve was reveled they
may not follow or give second thoughts to just how high they might be
willing to go on the item in question. Thus, in some ways it is an
advertising gimic to provoke ones curiosity and at the same time protect the
seller if their minimum is not met. This is likely why the seller comented
about the reason of for not reveling the reserve.
  Often ads will encourage you to "place your highest maximum bid." This is
totally to the sellers advantage. Why, because the guy who wants the item
"at any cost" will have to pay a likely higher price. Many people do "Snipe"
(and I will admit I do) at the very end. The buyer is "playing poker" to
bluff any potential bidders. It becomes a battle of getting the lowest
price, highest bid at the very end. Out bid the other guy at the last
second, but not drive up the cost in the final minutes.
  Remember the buyer and seller are really advisaries. One is trying to get
the maximum price the other is trying to get the lowest price and still win.
Some complain about sniping, but there really is not much that can be done
at an ebay like auction to prevent it. Thus, it is how the game is played.
And if you want any chance of winning at a reasonable cost sniping is the
only game in town. Personally I enjoy the drama of it all. I like the last
minute contemplation of my all or bust final bid and the calculation of just
when to send it without being late. I have won at least three auctions in
the very last second, often by a few cents. I talk about it for days. I
email links to my friends to show them my "Victory." Of course I have yet to
drive my Tiger of two years so please don't tell me to get a life, hopefully
in a year or two it will roll out of the garage. Tom Witt B9470101