Re: A Bumpy Ride

To: SJC Worldwide <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: A Bumpy Ride
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@home.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 17:25:17 -0800
At 10:01 PM 11/19/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Here's a new Tiger question I've been struggling with.
>
>I have not been able to get my original LAT70 wheels balanced properly.
>At least I think it's the wheel balancing. Above 70-75 MPH, I get
>serious bumping (that back and forth movement typical of bad wheel
>balancing) from the steering wheel. It is progressively worse as speed
>increases.

snip

>A conversation I had today with someone who should know suggested that
>there is an inherant vibration problem with LAT 70s in that they're not
>offset properly from the hubs and my experience may be common with these
>wheels. I hope that's not the case. I like the LAT70 look. I got an
>excellent suggestion from a lister that I should temporarily swap wheels
>with another Tiger that rides smoothly, which is ultimately what I may
>have to talk someone into letting me try
>
>Has anyone out there had a similar problem with LAT 70s (or any other
>wheels), and if it's a design problem with them, is there any fix that
>can be done?

         I've had several set of LAT 70's and they do seem to have a
tendency to be more difficult to balance or run smoothly than other wheels.
I have had the best success with "truing" the tires before they are
balanced.  The Tiger suspension design seems to be overall more sensitive
to "out of balance" and "out of round" situations.  The offset offered in
the LAT 70 seems to compound this sensitivity likely due to the increase in
the scrub radius which leverages the potential problems.

         Other factors which should be investigated are the toe setting and
the caster angles.  More positive caster will tend to make the car run
straighter at speed and may reduce your vibration problems, whereas toe out
is likely to accentuate vibration and twitchy ness.    I think the concept
of switching tires and wheels with another vibration free Tiger for a while
will yield your answers to determine if it's your tires and wheels or
something else in the suspension.  I'd look for someone that has tire and
wheel sizes close to yours or you may introduce other factors.