Re: Battery: Dead or Alive?

To: "List Tiger" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Battery: Dead or Alive?
From: "Charlton" <charlton@flash.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 08:14:23 -0600
Rick,
When a battery goes dead after two months it needs to be charged for a long
time in order to start behaving properly. I'm not positive, but I think a
slow charge is best for this.  If it goes dead overnight it needs a short,
high intensity charge and comes up quickly.

This is exactly what I experienced when starting my '56 TR3 after completing
restoration and using an old battery.
Duncan

> Here's the situation:
>
> - Tried to start the Tiger after its been sitting for 2  months
>
> - Starter didn't even engage
>
> - Battery showed ~10V, so I put in on the charger
>
> - Battery charged to the regulation 12.32V in about 10 mintues (Is this
suspicious?)

> - Threw it back in the car & checked voltages at the battery & solenoid
(I've had problems with that before)

> - Tried to start it again - again, nothing happened,
>
> - Just from trying to start it, the battery had gone back down to ~10V
>
> - Tried charging it again - left it over night, though I've no doubt my
charger had decided it was charged sooner than that

> - Tried starting the car w/the same results: 12V before turning the key,
knocked down to 10V without even the starter engaging to show for my
trouble - past the solenoid, I was getting  >1V

> Are these the symptoms of a dead battery?  (Never had one before, so I'm
not sure what I should be looking at to fix the situation.)