Re: Same ol' problem

To: clarkjc@stny.rr.com
Subject: Re: Same ol' problem
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 15:28:41 EST
It rings in my mind that the PCV systems works by
sucking outside through the air cleaner base into the
driver's side oil breather (cylinders 5-6-7-8).  The air
flows from there though the engine to the right valve
cover where it is sucked into the engine by a hose
connected to the PCV valve on the valve cover to
the Carb base.  The vacuum from the carb provides
all the suction.  The oil/gas vapors are then sent
to all cylinders.  If you have plumbed the PCV to just
the #4 intake runner, you are really screwing with the
fuel/air mixture to #4.  I would think the plug would
be carboned up badly.  Why not simply plug the PCV
hose going to the intake runner and see if this helps
the problem.

Run some tests with your vacuum gauge on a warm engine.
(1) Normally you should have 17 to 22 inches and a steady
     needle for a good engine.
(2) If the reading is 4 to 8 inches low and fluctuates at the
     low reading, it indicates an intake manifold leak.
(3) If the needle drops about 2 to 4 inches at a steady
     rate, the valves are leaking.
(4) A downward flicker may be a sticking valve or ignition
     misfire.
(5) If a rapid vibration occurs with an increase in
     engine speed, check for a leaking intake or head gasket,
     weak valve springs, or burned valves.
(6) If the needle moves slowly through a wide range, check
    for a clogged PCV valve system or an intake gasket leak.

If this all fails, try and find someone with the old SUN Scope
and who knows how to use it.  He should be able to pinpoint
the problem

Good luck.  Please keep the list advised.  But don't give up.
GM sold Cadillacs that ran on 4 or 6 or 8 cylinders.  My old
Mopar ran on 5 or 6 or 7 or 8, depending.

Dave Johnson, B382002668(under repair) Aurora, IL