Re: Same ol' problem

To: DJoh797014@aol.com
Subject: Re: Same ol' problem
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 23:34:51 -0800
Dave,

The PCV valve is connected directly to the manifold vacuum through the
spacer plate under the carburetor. It is only effective at low speed
(high vacuum) and is practically closed at low manifold vacuum
(acceleration and high speed).

This is a very mild device, except for those that choose to eliminate
it, or modify it's function, where the results can be messy. I found the
P.O. had reversed some innards to disable it, in a closed system, and
caused all kinds of strange performance degradation. I returned it to
the normal state and it worked very well.

The original Tiger version was able to be disassembled for cleaning.
Replacement parts were not.

I'd leave the design as is, it does not hurt.

I refer you to Pages 16 and 17 of the Rootes Tiger Workshop Manual for
the device function and design. Unreleased portions of these pages are
residing on the TigersUnited.com site for release when the Engine -
Section B is completed (50%).

If you do not have a manual, and I strongly suggest purchase from
Sunbeam Specialties.

A sneak preview can be seen at
http://www.TigersUnited.com/techtips/wsmB16.asp and
http://www.TigersUnited.com/techtips/wsmB17.asp