Re: front end rebuild

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, <DJoh797014@aol.com>
Subject: Re: front end rebuild
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 16:54:13 -0800
Dave,
  I am a bit taken back by your comment "Time to get down from the high
horse." Whether it was directed at me or towards yourself as it related to
your position regarding my post I think you need to go back and re-read what
I said. Yesterday Stan Gorski asked the following question of the list:
>1. Someone was on this board making up fulcrum pins.  How do I contact him
if he did get the project going.  Has anyone used these pins.  If this
person did not get this project going, what is the best source for these
pins.<
Dave, I simply was answering his question. I was merely discussing
application and availability.
 I told him that I did not know what EN-24 steel was other than the
application explained by Derek. I told him I had no feedback from others as
to how the pins worked out for them. I also told him that they may likely
not be available again. I was in no way promoting the EN-24 pins, I never
stated that they were better, stronger etc., rather I was putting forth the
information I had as it related to Stan's question. To that end I even
stated "I would highly recommend John Logan's reinforcement. It seems to be
the most logical way of dealing with the problem. Perhaps even more
important  than replacing the pins." Thus, I don't see the point of your
comment >"Are you willing to take the moral and legal responsibility if
someone uses such a setup only to have it fail 5 or 10 years down the
road?"< Stan is a grown man who can make his own decision and I am not
holding a gun to his head.
 I agree with what you stated >"John Logan tech tip should be required for
all Tigers.  It ranks right up there with welding the shock towers and upper
ball joint mounting sleeve. <  But, I need to ask do you know what
metallurgy changes go on with all the welding needed, or the stress issues
being placed upon the crossmember by the Logan tip? It may be fair to say
you have a "hunch" (based on theory) that this is logically better, but I
don't think you could produce the "real world" data you have asked of me
regarding the EN-24 pins.
The point is this: The Tiger is known to have fulcrun pin breakage. I and
(and it appears others) have a "hunch" (based on the theory of application
of the EN-24 steel by Caterpiller) that they are likely stronger than the
highly questionable stock pins. I myself and at least two others I know
(Brent Edinger and Derek White - himself) are going to use the Logan tip in
addition to the EN-24 pins. Speaking for myself I WILL keep a watch on them
to see how they are performing. Derek told everyone who got these pins that
regardless of HIS perception as to their strength that we should all apply
the Logan tip.
 It is in fact that I do have a conscience towards others that I have
elected to use the EN-24 pins given the failure of the stock pins. It has
yet to be proven that the EN-24 pins are any less than the stock pins, but
the stock pins have been proven to fail. Therefore, using the stock pins
provokes my conscience (negatively) more than using the EN-24 pins. I would
think if there was need to so question the  EN-24 pins (given the
application of EN-24 in the industial world) then to take a look at the
Street Rod crowd would put them out of existence.
I am sorry to hear about the health of your friend. Perhaps if remaining
time allows you might ask him about the EN-24 pins. It is possible that he
might approve and that could be of great service to the Tiger community.
Respectfully, Tom Witt B9470101