Re: LAT Options - CONCLUDED!

To: Tim Jordan <tjordan@wagnerprocess.com>
Subject: Re: LAT Options - CONCLUDED!
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 13:28:41 -0800
Tim Jordan wrote:

> Steve said,
>
> "> Roger,
> >
> > I was, and it does. Some, however, are not pictured. Will be glad to do
> > so as soon as I can get someone to donate some pictures, but the
> > complete Dealer Catalog is there.
>
> The complete Dealer Catalog does not match the list of LAT options on your
> website.  Where are you coming up with the "other/new" LAT options?  I think
> Hell will freeze before you find pictures and documents referring to those
> "other LAT alpha" designations.  An outside vendor offering a "goodie" for
> the Tiger did not automatically include it as a part of the Rootes sponsered
> LAT program.  I thought that the LAT program was very specific and the other
> options were either Factory Accessories or outside vendor supplies and not a
> part of the LAT program?

Answer to ALL doubters:

1) I have cited my references (TBON) for the non-Rootes LAT designations
when the spark-plug behind the LAT options program (Wheatly) left the
distributor and went to work for Traction Masters, developing new Tiger
performance equipment and, rightly or wrongfully, identifying them with
LAT designations. Subject documented and hopefully closed.

2) "Tiger, An Exceptional Motor Car, William Carroll, Auto Book Press,
Oct. 1978, page 54: Extracted from a letter by Ian Garrad to the SCCA
on October 11, 1965"

 After describing the changes the Tiger design specifications were going
through, including upgrades from Ford on the original 260, such as
rocker pivot studs, first gear ratio, valve sizes, the new top loader
transmission, etc. Ian goes on to state:

    "We also draw your attention to the fact that there are available,
from our Parts Department, performance kits made up of Ford parts,
several hundred of which have already been sold this year to date.
These kits, LAT-1 through LAT-71, include four-barrel carburation, solid
lifters, dual-point ignition, screw-in rocker pivot studs, and high
performance options.  These kits have been available since the
introduction of the Tiger last year and are supplied to dealers via the
Parts Department of Rootes.  In the Los Angeles area, kits are installed
prior to delivery to dealers," Ian's letter to the SCCA concluded.

Los Angeles Tigers (LAT) Options were installed by Rootes at their main
Service Depot, in Long Island, New York; or at the West Coast warehouse
in Long Beach, California...."

It goes on to list the LAT options by number and description.

So, MY sources are William Carroll and his quotations from the official
letter by Ian Garrad to the SCCA.

Maybe there were LIT Tigers after all?

I certainly hope this puts an end to accusations that I make-up stories
that are not true, or are from uncertain sources. If anyone still has an
issue with this, please take it up with William Carroll, Norman Miller,
or the SCCA archives.

Truth and honesty in all matters, to the best of my knowledge. You have
your references, if you had read them. If not, why not defer to those
that do.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman