Brake Fluid

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake Fluid
From: laceyf@crosslink.net
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 01:04:14 -0500
Help:
    I have been seeing a slow leak from my master cylinder for quite a while
now, and I always check it before I take it for a spin. 1966 MK1A Tiger. The
other day I didn't, since I was going for a very short spin. I drove it out of
the garage and down the road and soon put my foot on the brake and it went to
the floor with no stopping, not a chance.  I'm glad it's not an automatic. Got
it back into the garage safely and checked the brake fluid storage, empty
(like my head) Ha! Ha!. Now they have to be bleed, 2 person job. I've never
seen fluid from lines, wheel cylinders or disks on the floor or carpet I park
it on, I've looked allot. It's got to be going somewhere. Is it maybe going in
to the Servo? I have a stock car with original servo, master cylinder
(rebuilt). I noticed that the fumes of the engine when I got back smelled sort
of like molasses burning. Kind of strange and sweet at the same time. If it is
getting into the servo and then the engine with the one-way pipe to the Intake
Manifold, what should I do about it? Rebuild servo? If this is the problem who
rebuilds them for Tiger owners? Is this something I could do myself?  I've
always felt more comfortable lightly pumping the brakes when I come to a stop.
I didn't have fade, just not firm brakes.  If the fluid is going into the
engine, will it hurt the engine, one mechanic told me it should just burn up
with no concern, as long as it's not too much.  I'd just like to maybe get it
fixed for the last time. I'm using DOT 4 from Napa. I'll need to buy more now.
I tell people I use Dot 4 and they say "oh silicone." I thought Dot 4 was for
most British cars and not silicone. Can you clear me up about this also?
    Thanks to all replies in advance, Mark in Va.