Re: Brake Fluid

To: rpalmer@ucsd.edu
Subject: Re: Brake Fluid
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 16:18:11 EST
I do believe that Tiger Tom had a great tech tip
years ago and mentioned the problem with the
new foam rubber rope being too thick.  I think
he said you had trim to make it fit right.  It
seems the old old rebuild kits had the correct
dimensions and the new kits don't.  The thicker
rope causes the seal to stick to the inside of
the tank.

Any case measure twice cut once.

Polishing the inside of the tank is a good idea.
The smoother the better.  I once thought about
having the inside chromed.  But I will wait till
the next time I rebuild it.  I used red rubber
grease after polishing the inside of the tank.
I used #1000 grid and then followed with
rubbing compound.  Of course clean the inside
after you are through.

Tubes of Girling red rubber grease should be
easily available from a nearby foreign parts
dealer.  If no, Moss Motors carries it.  Should
be less than $5 a big tube.

I believe there was an old CAT tech tip about
rebuilding that included info on resurfacing
the face of the alumumin booster.  But I
don't have the tools or guts.  I also don't
believe replacement plastic rocker pads are
available anywhere.  Maybe someone on
the list can help.

Dave Johnson