Re: Brake Fluid

To: laceyf@crosslink.net
Subject: Re: Brake Fluid
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 23:05:51 EST
Mark

You have to realize that I am not a speed mechanic.
Total time is about 3 to 4 hours but elapsed time
was several days.  Most of that was spent in sanding
and painting the vacuum tank.  That was before powder
coating was available.  I would advise powder coating
the tank and end plate.  Your option on powder
coating the aluminum body, as I don't know if powder
coating sticks well to aluminum.  Perhaps someone
on the net can advise.  I waited 1 day between coats
of paint.  It was winter and I wound up using the
oven hoping to 'bake' the finish.  My wife did not
appreciate that at all.

The manual and kit shows how to make a 'T' shaped
tool to hold the piston down while you remove an
internal ciraclip.  You will definitely need this. I made
mine out of a clothes hanger as my ability to bend
steel with my bear hands is not what it used to be.
Perhaps there is some kryponite in the vicinity.

The biggest problem was locating a pair of ciraclip
pliers that could reach far enough into the bore.  The
Sears pliers with replaceable ends aren't long enough.
I finally found that SK makes just the right ciraclip
pliers.  It was the smallest available and cost was less that $5.

Be very careful when removing the ciraclip as its
hardened steel and the bore is soft aluminum.  You
can ruin the bore it the pliers slip.  The SK worked
well.

If you find that the pistons are stuck in the bore
after you have removed the ciraclip, here's one way
to get them out.  Carefully hit the assembly on a hard
flat surface.  The piston will slowly come down.  The
switch to a socket that will allow the piston to go inside it.
Keep tapping and soon the piston will be far enough out
for you to grab.  Don't hit the valve body so hard
as to break it.  Remember slow buy sure.  I have used
this method with brake and clutch master cylinders.

Technically rebuilding is not near as difficult
as you would think.  If I could do it, anyone can.
Most of the time is spent in refinishing the
booster tank.  It also requires some time to
sand and polish the interior of the tank.  Its
steel and takes time.

Dave Johnson B382002668(under repair) Aurora, IL