Re: It's ALIVE - now I need help

To: c_mottram@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: It's ALIVE - now I need help
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 16:27:41 EST
Sounds like a carb problem.  Either the float is stuck
or the needle seats have disappeared due the modern
stuff they call gas.  Buy a 'zip' kit for your carb and
rebuild it.  It should cost about $12 at NAPA and
is a universal kit for Ford 2bbl.  It will contain new
seats, power valve, etc, all of which are compatible
with modern 'gas'.  Others on the list may know, but I
don't believe the fuel pump has a shut off.  It will
pump until the tank is empty.  You could check this
by removing the feed line to the carb which you are
going to have to do when rebuilding the carb.  Hold
your thumb on the line and have a friend turn the
ignition key on but not start the car. The pump
should stop ticking rapidly.  It may tick once every
30 secs or so which I believe is a relief valve inside
the pump.  Turn the ignition off and catch the gas
when you remove your thumb.  The line will have
gas in it that is under fuel pump pressure.  DO NOT
do this with a hot engine or around open flame.

Yes the ballast resistor gets very hot.  My original
has a small drilled metal heat shield around it to
keep prying fingers away.

Rebuild a Ford 2bbl is a piece of cake.

Dave Johnson B382002668(under repair) Aurora, IL