Re: Brake Fluid

To: "List Tiger" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Fluid
From: "Duncan Charlton \(Texas\)" <charlton@ev1.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 09:31:40 -0600
Patient listers,
I believe my flawed statement about compressibility came from discussions I
read, some time back, in which the participants were speculating about what
happens when things heat up and there is ANY water present in the system --
with conventional fluids, perhaps this is a less significant problem, since
the water is dispersed throughout the fluid (although I recall that boiling
point of these fluids goes down over time, presumably due to the water
contamination), whereas a little water drop in silicone would be isolated --
if it got hot enough to boil, there would be an expanding steam pocket that
would make the pedal spongy.  Presumably the boiling point of a droplet of
water is way below the boiling point of even contaminated conventional
fluid.  I suppose the question would then be, how does the droplet of water
get there in a silicone fluid-filled system?  Perhaps the debate grew out of
the usual two-sided motor head argument -- like Ford vs. Chevy.  Whatever.
It's been an education to hear about technology changes.  I should have
known that the makers of silicone fluid would have improved things since I
used it in 1979.
Duncan

ps: does anybody remember a discussion, here, I think, sometime back, about
the merits of Ford DOT 3 fluid?  Supposedly it is very high quality and
racers were using it rather than DOT 4.