Re: Mk 2 Trans.

To: Anthony & Susan <jetbike@worldlynx.net>
Subject: Re: Mk 2 Trans.
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 12:44:18 -0700
On adding wide ratio:

Having gone through this myself, I can let you know my own experience.

1) I was very unhappy with the "close ratio" gear Rootes choice of
Rootes, giving 60 mph in first, and no poop.  When they changed to the
"wide ratio" set in the Mk II, it transformed the car to a rubber laying
dragster. Even gets rubber in three gears in a 260.

2) Yes, you can just pop in the inner gears from a wide ratio into your
current box. You keep the fourth gear set, as it doesn't change. These
parts are available from used transmissions, and new from Ford, after
market, or the new owners of the design TREMEC (who also own the T-5).
New bearings and seals are a must, as well as a close inspection of your
synchro's and dog clutches.

Practically any good stick shift rebuilder can do this work. It is
straight forward, and any Ford/Mustang classic restorer knows who they
are locally. You need to know a few Tiger unique items.

3) There is another choice that could pay off for you in the future. But
a good condition wide ratio in the newer case and have it rebuilt with
your original tail shaft housing and output shaft for the correct
length. Keep the nose bearing support of the later case. Now, you will
have a transmission with BOTH the 5 bolt tranny hole pattern, as well as
the 6 bolt bell housing pattern, in the event there is a 289 or 302 in
your future. The nose bearing support you kept is larger in diameter and
fits the 6 bolt bell housing. (8-)

4) A word of caution. The Mk II tranny I used has a different internal
speedo drive gear tooth count than the Mk I series, and a speedometer to
match.  Not knowing this at the time, I left the Mk II unit in. Just a
plastic gear.  Needles to say, my recently calibrated speedo was WAY off
and needed to be redone. All I had to do was keep put the old one on
with the new gear set! These are helical twisted gears, and difficult to
count teeth. There are only 5 to 7 teeth, believe it our not. They ARE
color coded. This is NOT the gear at the end of the cable, which must
match the speedo and this internal gear for calibration.

Steve
--
Steve Laifman