Re: 6 Blade Fan

To: "PAUL R SHEAHAN" <sunbeamtiger@prodigy.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 6 Blade Fan
From: "Kathy and Erich Coiner" <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 20:36:29 -0700
I did mine myself.
I have access to a machine shop so that helped a lot :)

I mounted a rotary table onto a manual Bridgeport mill.
I indicated the spindle in over the center of the rotary table.
Then I mounted the the fan onto the rotary table using Tbolts and a chunk of
aluminum as a spacer.
I tapped the fan around until it was centered over the center hole of the
rotary table. (I used a dial indicator to get it centered within 0.001
inches.)

I cranked the table over and put an endmill in the mill and proceeded to
crank the rotary table in a circle and remove a small amount of material
from the blade with each pass.  I found I could take about 0.020 inches off
on each pass without chatter in the blades. The blades were not supported
just the center hub area.

I took about an hour and a half, start to finish, including cleaning up and
putting the mill vise back on, so the day crew would not shoot me. :)

Erich