Off Balance

To: <LGOOCH@satx.rr.com>
Subject: Off Balance
From: "Doug & Rett Leithauser" <dleit@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 07:03:28 -0400
The balance weights on the flywheel & balancer must match the crankshaft. I
do not claim to be an expert on which engine needs just what balancer &
flywhel, but you have to stay with what the engine was built with. If the
engine was internally balanced, all balance was done at the crankshaft
itself & the balancer & flywheel are of equal weight all the way around.
If the engine is externally balanced the crankshaft is out of balance by
itself & requires a flywheel & balancer that have a heavy side to give a
balanced assembly.
    A quick look at Tom Monroe's "How to Rebuild Small Block Ford Engines"
indicates that all small block Fords are extenally balanced. This leads me
to believe that the flywheels are interchangeable. I'm sure someone on the
list will point out if this is incorrect.
Doug Leithauser

> If you have a 28 oz. balance on the harmonic balancer you use a 28 balance
on
> the flywheel and the same on the 50 oz. Balancer and flywheel must match?
Or do certain years use certain imbalances. What is the difference between
internal and external imbalance?