Re: cruise control

To: "James E. Pickard" <geowiz@cox-internet.com>,
Subject: Re: cruise control
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 11:53:24 -0700
Jim,

Although I am unaware of any current after market cruise control system,
mainly for two reasons.

1) There must be an added, direct reading, speed measurement system.
This usually consists of a brake rotor magnet and sensing coil, or
perhaps something on the drive shaft. On a new build it is easy.

After market for many car models is a challenge.
2) There must also be an electronic throttle control device that takes
the computer's sensed speed, compared to required speed, and increases
throttle opening, or backs off, as computer signals demand.

This would be another difficult challenge for multiple ,
model/manufacturer designs.

Additionally, most cars, for many years, have had these as options,
standard equipment, or dealer selected packages for flooring. Therefore
the market for most cars would be very small.

The liability, in case of accident, would be a very large hurdle for an
after-market company in today's litigious environment.

In 1954 my new XK120 had a factory installed speed control that worked
very effectively. The factory insisted that large strains be prohibited
during early break-in. Most manufacturers would just warn the user to go
easy on acceleration, and increase top speed gradually.

Jag had a better idea, and cost effective as well. The car came with a
wooden block under the accelerator pedal, to be removed by the dealer at
the appropriate mileage. It allowed, essentially, 1/4 throttle maximum
travel. Leisurely take off from stop. Moderate acceleration, and limited
(though not slow) top speed.  We would get on what few freeways existed
back then, and just keep putting the miles on. You could see and feel
the blocked performance keep increasing daily, as break-in allowed
easier running.

So, there is a pretty inexpensive Tiger option, based on the very best
British technology.

Try it, it couldn't hurt. (9-)

Steve

--