Re: Guess the Problem

To: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Guess the Problem
From: Craig Wright <cwright@pdghightower.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 11:22:24 -0700
During the last two months I've had two different spade connectors cause a
problem. In
both cases they looked to be OK and they "Snapped" on, but in the clipped on
position they
were loose on the spade, causing intermittent connection. One was on the
starter solenoid
(Starter mounted solenoid), and whenever I started the car the connector would
vibrate and
cause the starter to (effectively) run on a lower voltage, because the solenoid
would open
and close rapidly. I loved finding this problem because it was so easy to fix.
The second
one cause a misfire of the engine. Ran fine at idle, but accelerating and
freeway speeds
it was terrible, just like the REV limiter. I pulled of the freeway and checked
everything, and found a loose high voltage coil lead. Wasn't the problem. After
70 miles
of freeway at 45 mph I pulled over again to check it out. By this time it was
getting
dark. I opened the hood and saw little sparks at the spade connector on the MSD
side of
the coil. After crimping the connector with a pair of pliers everything was
fine.

I guess a loose spade connector in the MSD-coil circuit.

Craig Wright