Re: Ignition Warning Light on with new alternator

To: sosnaenergyconsulting <sosnaenergyconsulting@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Ignition Warning Light on with new alternator
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 20:36:45 -0600
The Toyota internally-regulated alternator on my Tiger has provision for a
charge warning light, and it's on when the ignition is on, but the engine isn't
running; and it's off when the engine is running, which
corresponds to the voltage output being high enough to charge the battery.
When it's cranking, I'm not sure, but I would guess that the light will
probably be on since the engine won't be turning over fast enough
for the alternator to cut in. The charge light is wired with one side to the
ignition circuit and the other to the light output on the alternator. I'm
curious to know why it's so important that the light be on when
you're cranking?

Theo