Leaky Holley Carb Question

Subject: Leaky Holley Carb Question
From: Steve Sage <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 17:30:12 -0700
As usual, I need some advice.

I have a Holley Street Avenger 570cfm carb (vaccum secondaries). The
outer body is laid out exactly like the standard everyday Holley 600cfm
that a lot of us run on our Tigers.

It's developed a leak from around the accelerator pump cover underneath
the carb. I took off the carb, the old piece didn't look cracked or
brittle, but I called Holley tech support and they mailed me out a new
gasket/bowl piece (or whatever you call it) that just came in the mail
today. The Holley tech said they can develop tiny cracks that you can't
see but still allow fuel to leak by. In the meantime, I installed a new
part myself I got at a partts store, since I didn't want to wait to get
the car going again. It seemed OK for a day or two but is now seeping
fuel again, the best I can figure from right around that same seal.

The gasket piece I took out of the carb, and the one I got from the
parts store, are both black. The new one I got in the mail from Holley
is black on one side, but is green on the other side and also around the
small fuel "bowl".  I'm debating if I should install this new part from
Holley, but looking at it it is shaped exacly like the replacement piece
I installed a couple of days ago, except for the color. The new piece I
just got might be slightly more flexible, but I don't see how it would
seal any better.

Has anyone else had this problem, and why would the new piece I
installed also leak, even though it's "snugged down" pretty well?

Thanks.

Steve Sage