Re: LAT 70 & tire questions

To: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: LAT 70 & tire questions
From: stubrennan@attbi.com
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 12:49:32 +0000
A couple data points:

A couple years back I got a set of wheels with tires on them.  The seller
didn't know the tire's age, so I emailed Continental ( the mfg) with all the
sereial numbers and date codes.  They replied with all the info on the tires,
and recommended that they not be used more than 7 years after the date of
manufacture.  The rubber gets brittle.  This could explain your poor seal after
it was disturbed.

I had michelins on my jetta years back.  Being a light car, they lasted for
ever, given my short commute at the time ( and a set of winter tires).  Well,
not quite for ever.  One day, when they were probably about 8 yrs old, I
developed a slight wobble in the front.  A weight fell off?  Nope, a large
bubble was developing in the tread.  A couple months later a second one
developed a similar problem, so I chucked the other two, also.  There was still
sufficient tread left.

So tires do have an "end of life", where bad things happen.  Get some good
rubber, then worry about balance.

Stu