Re: Hydraulic fluids - getting your DOTs lined up.

To: Jim Blackwood <jblackwood5@insightbb.com>
Subject: Re: Hydraulic fluids - getting your DOTs lined up.
From: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 19:12:02 -0700
Jim, what generally wears alum brake parts, is contamination.  Dirt,
water, and corrosion.

Most people don't change brake fluid that often, and as a result the
above starts it work.

If you bleed the MC for example, and the piston has only traveled
through the normal distance, then when you change fluid, it goes into
that area where all that crud is, the the seal is denigrated, cut, and
leaks can start.

While Tiger Tom did some studies several years ago, on swelling of seals
with DOT 3 or 4 vs Silicon DOT 5, the studies showed, if I remember
correctly, that DOT 3 and 4 had a slightly larger swelling ability.

So wear is not because of the fluid, but contamination in the system.

How do you solve that?

First with DOT 3 or 4 change fluid every 2 years.

Second, if bleeding an older system, you will damage the seals if they
pass that crud, corrosion, dirt, etc., so you Power Bleed.

There are several power bleeders on the market, EZBleeder for around $40
is what I use, but you can go higher, and it is a one man operation, and
fairly easy.

I personally don't like Silicone DOT 5 (and yes there is non Silicone
DOT 5, very expensive race fluid), because as someone said if you change
you have to disassemble the entire braking system, flush to get all of
the old fluid out as they are not compatible, and generally replace all
seals as you are going to disassemble all the parts anyway.

Silicone does not absorb water, as DOT 3 and 4, but water, moisture,
does enter the system, and some antique cars owners have had the brake
lines rust from the inside out, as the water accumulates at the low
point in the lines.  But it will not hurt paint.  Of course, if you race
the car, don't use silicone.

BTW, what do your brake lines look like?  Shinny, and not rusty, I hope.
But not 35 years old.

DOT 3 or 4 is cheap, and with a power bleeder it is simple to change
fluid, without hurting the seals.

Initial investment in a power bleeder, and a $3 can of DOT 4 every 2
years and you are all set.

Larry