Re: cooling problem

To: "Chris Hill" <Pirouette@uisreno.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: cooling problem
From: "Kathy and Erich Coiner" <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 09:01:04 -0700
My tiger runs the hottest at speed. But it does not overheat.
You gotta have a shroud and you need to KNOW the radiator is tip top.
Also put a GANO filter in the top radiator hose and monitor it for junk
coming out of the block. Do this at the exact time you replace the radiator.
It does not take long for junk from the block to plug up a brand new
radiator.
BTDT with a Mustang.  Your symptoms match the way my Mustang behaved when
the radiator was plugged.

I am using a radiator I bought from Rob Guerra on this list.
I use the Derale  17015 mentioned in the great TE/AE cooling article.
I have the original shroud.
I blocked off the horn holes and built and aluminum duct per Steve Laifmans
article on the Tigers United website.
I also cut out the sheet metal brace that blocks a good two inch swath of
the radiator.

In this condition the car will on an  85 F day , run 200 to 205 F while on
the freeway at speeds around 75. The engine is a virtually stock 260.

Driving back from Mammoth last year I kept the speed down to 65 and the temp
never ran hotter than 215 on a 100F plus day.
These are the numbers that the dash gauge reads, but I know they are
accurate because I checked them against both an IR temp gun pointed at the
radiator, and a thermocouple installed in the inlet tank of the radiator.