cooling problem

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: cooling problem
From: "Chris Hill" <Pirouette@uisreno.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 01:05:24 -0700
Fellow listers,
    I have a friend that I'm trying to help get his Tiger to T.U. in Tahoe in
June.  Among a number of things that kept him from making Mammoth last year is
a cooling problem, perhaps strange, maybe not.  The car has a 289 in it,
likely stock, though unknown.  All the dash guages went out and are another
story, so we've been using the 'puke' method of temperature determination.
Driving the car around town is usually O.K., it surprised us that stop and go
seems to be the least of our problems.  But get it out on the freeway and
within a short time it's obviously overheating.  It would cook the Carter that
was on it this winter and blow gas everywhere and then blow anti freeze past
the cap.
    We put a Holley on it, which doesn't fry as easily, but the basic
overheating problem is still there.  The car has a 6 blade fan from Paul R.,
but no shroud, radiator is a hand-me-down and (we think) a three core.  All
the pipes are new, but general openness of the water jackets (and possibly the
radiator) is unknown.  The front of the fan blades is about 1/2" from the
radiator fins, and we're thinking of pulling the H20 pump and shoving the hub
back a bit.
    Does this sound like anything familiar?  Help, help!!  We're getting short
on time.  Thanks!

                   Chris Hill