RE: Electrical Question

To: "ron fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.biz>
Subject: RE: Electrical Question
From: stubrennan@attbi.com
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 14:46:21 +0000
That's an interesting clue you provided there, saying that the tach drops for
an instant when the "bump" happens.  Does the engine really slow down, or does
the tach reading drop on it's own?  Does the radio/AC fan/lights or anything
else electrical quit at the same time?  Could your ignition switch contacts be
getting a little marginal?  I had this problem in a Jetta years back, and it
drove me nuts until I found what it was.

It sounds like you are drawing a lot of extra current to drive all the modern
stuff you added, so are you sure your system voltage is staying up?   Do you
have a voltmeter or ammeter in the car?  This could tell you a lot. If you have
the original 30A generator you could be falling behind in your charging.  Even
the useless little cooling fan I added a few years back was around 10A.  Add in
the AC clutch, the radio, 5A for each headlight.....

Stu