Re: BMW Tiger

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, <stubrennan@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: BMW Tiger
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 08:38:50 -0700
Stu,
  I'm glad (or at least hopeful) it appears only to be a rumor. As it has
been recently discussed in the "40k Tiger" posts of late the Tiger struggles
to find it's deserved repect that other similar cars receive. Therefore, the
potential exists for a new (BMW???) Tiger to be perceived as having gotten
it right the second time (and then what would that say about our cars). Or,
worst yet, a new Tiger that does not match the current competition could
possible only increase the negative preception some have of our Tigers
already.
  I think most people see the (current) Tiger as too many to be rare (like a
real Cobra) and too few to be popular (like a Mustang). They see it as too
much power to properly get to the ground and yet to little power to be
equated with a 427 60's muscle car. They see it as too cramped for a 6
footer to properly fit, but too small to transport 4 people. Etc. etc. etc..
  Personally, I see the Tiger as a great "Tweener" car. It is somewhat rare,
but parts can still reasonably be found for it. The chassis can be adapted
not only to handle the available power, but more as well. It's a sports car
with some comfort, but also a hot rod that is faster than a lot of people
realize. Perhaps that is the best kept secret of the Tiger to see it for
what it is, instead of faulting it for what it isn't. I consider myself
fortunate to have that insight. For me, my Tiger is a little bit of every
car I would like to own, but I only have to buy one, and it fits in my
garage.

Tom Witt B9470101