Radiator Cooling

To: tigers-n@frisurf.no, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Radiator Cooling
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 10:28:15 EDT
On the subject of cooling .....recently I was looking at a parts book from an
aftermarket supplier  for my Volvo 240.  They described the standard  belly
pan under the car and said that Volvo recommended that the pan always be in
place to both keep the steering mechanism clear of debris and to aid in
cooling.
Their claim is that  the pan prevents the hot air from being thrown down
under the car and then drawn back up to the fan again.  Instead it is forced
straight back over the engine.  There is also the usual fan shroud.

I know there has been discussion on the list of using an asymmetrical fan to
prevent this occurrence, but I don't think I've ever heard the consideration
of a belly pan.  Volvo designers are not stupid people and would not spend the
money on the pan if they didn't think it was necessary.   So, has this been
considered and what is the opinion on it?  The pan goes from about the front
bumper, back to just under the engine and pretty much covers everything side to
side.
Mark L.