Re: Brake boosters/dual master desirability

To: VegasLegal@aol.com
Subject: Re: Brake boosters/dual master desirability
From: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:50:43 -0700
Bob, I understand your concern for originality, and safety, and you have
some good points.

But, putting the booster on a Tandem MC, a Dual MC is 2 side by side, on
the front only will over power the front brakes, and in a panic or
emergency stop, the rears will never come on and the front will just
lock up.

It is a system, and is designed to work together.

Increasing the MC bore will decrease the pressure in the system, harder
to stop, and decrease the pedal travel.  The formula is:

P=FxL/A

P=system pressure
F= brake pedal force
L=brake pedal linkage ratio
A= area of MC bore

The Tiger pedal ratio, L, was 4:1 for the Tiger boosted brakes vs a 6:1
for non boosted brakes.  So with 70 lbs on normal hard braking, you have
280 lbs plus the booster pressure, and on non boosted brakes with 6:1
you have 420 lbs to activate the MC.  Without the booster you are down
42 % in pressure to the brakes, therefore harder to stop.

There are lots of items to look for when designing or redesigning a
brake system, and you can try and find out or, read the Brake Handbook
by Fred Puhn.

This is a good primer to learn what you are doing, and then you can
start to experiment with sizes, or you can just experiment.

Larry, 6 years and still learning.

PS - Tom if the brake bleed screws are on the left, will they hit the
clutch MC, or can you use them?  Mmmmmmm.  BTW, Dave Bean is very good
for fittings on different brake treads, etc.  Nice people.

#####
#####
#####