RE: Movie Virus???? -Real? Cause/Cure? Not tiger related, and

To: "FunbeamChuck" <FunbeamChuck@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: Movie Virus???? -Real? Cause/Cure? Not tiger related, and
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 17:45:16 -0700
Chuck,

Yes, at least in principle, firewall software should shield you computer
from port hackers. Like virus/worm software, it's still an ongoing battle of
wits with the evildoers, so it's effectiveness varies. I have used Black Ice
Defender for several years. It's amazing how often it caught someone trying
to hack my computer. You'd think people would have better things to do with
their time. But they aren't necessarily just satisfying their curiosity as
to what might be in your computer files or stealing your MP3 files- they may
be more interested in your bank account and social security numbers. That's
why, for example, MS Money went to 128-bit file encryption in the 2002
edition. The problem is especially sever if you have a continuously on cable
connection. You can also use a cable router as a firewall, some are better
than others. Since I went to cable and installed a network, Black Ice hasn't
detected any hackers. I'm not aware of any cable modems that offer firewall
protection, but even if you don't install a network you might want to add a
router just for the firewall protection, which costs about the same as a
good software firewall and is probably quite a bit better.

I would recommend everyone have three types of protection: virus, spyware,
and port hacking (either software or hardware firewall)- and maybe throw in
pop-up ad and spam protection as well. Norton is probably the best
antivirus, but McAfee, Boomerang, and Kapersky, are also very good. If you
don't have spyware protection, then I can guarantee that you have a ton of
it. You may want to keep certain spyware, for example you may want your MP3
player to report what your music preferences are. And there are some
programs that will not run if you remove their spy bots. But most of it is
just stuff you pick up surfing the Web and which reports back to interested
parties where you go and what you do on the Web so as to better target their
advertising to your lifestyle and interests. You can be pretty sure that any
of those free downloads, like browser tool bars, etc. are really just ways
to install spyware on your computer. My preference is Spybot Search &
Destroy (it's free), but Ad-aware Plus 6 (costs $27) is good to.  I use
AdSubtract for popup ads. I does help quite a bit.

Bob Palmer
rpalmer@ucsd.edu
robertpalmer@paulhastings.com
rpalmerbob@adelphia.net