Shocks & Doughnut - rub

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Shocks & Doughnut - rub
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:34:06 -0700
Well, I just can't seem to go 24 hr's without hitting a snag. As I stated
earlier I had cut my CAT springs to get the right ride height. I thought it
wise to put this cut end in the upper "doughnut-ed" end of the suspension as
this offered a more secure method for the now spiral ended spring. After a few
days of trial and error juggling I got things where I needed... , or so I
thought. I had left the shocks out in the prior process for ease of the many
spring removals and to get the ride height without the shocks affecting any
measurement.
  Today I progressed to the point where I could put the shocks in, however
upon lowering the car I found it to sit about an inch higher! This made no
sense (these are not air or gas shocks). Anyway, what I found was the spiral
ended cut CAT spring was causing extreme pressure in one area in the CAT
doughnut. The doughnut was bulging and hitting the shock, causing it to hang
up when the car was lowered. By the way, I recommend you put the doughnut on
the spring and then install it, don't put the doughnut in the crossmember and
then install the spring. I still had bulging even with the flat end of the
spring with the latter method. Again after some fiddling it seems OK except
that the doughnut still seems very close to the shock (Koni's) and I'm concern
that over time the doughnut could bulge more and cause interference. Has
anyone else experienced this? Is it just that the Koni's are wider shocks than
others?
Until tommorrow's problem --- Tom Witt B9470101