Weird Noise

Subject: Weird Noise
From: Sage <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:28:50 -0700
Hello Tiger Fans:
Here's a weird one that's developed on my Tiger recently. Under hard
acceleration, when the engine is under maximum load, I get a very
noticable speed or/and load related metallic noise. It is "load
sensitive". The harder the acceleration, the loader the noise is. It's
kind of a fairly load "rotational" sound, as opposed to something just
banging or rattling randomly.As soon as I let off the pedal a bit, the
noise goes away. It almost sounds like a bad u-joint, but it is not
nearly as loud as that, at least as I've experienced that in the past.
Location of the noise seems to be from under the passenger footwell, but
of course this is hard to tell in the car.

First suspect was my gear reduction starter as that's where the noise
seemed to be originating and I figured it was somehow hanging up on the
flywheel teeth, so out it came (fun with the headers). It did kind of
make rattling noises when I shook it, so it went to a rebuild shop that
said it was indeed going bad so it was rebuilt. I took their word on
that, since it had been starting the car with no problem. After it's
rebuild, back in it went. No prize, as the noise is still exactly the
same. A visual, and shaking parts survey (AC lines, hoses, exhaust
pipes, etc) has not revealed any obvious source of the noise.

I know it's impossible to diagnose a noise over the computer (back your
car up to the monitor, please), but has anyone else ever solved
something like this, and what should I be looking for?

Steve Sage
Tiger MK1A