RE: the fun never ends...snapped lug bolt...

To: "Paul R. Breuhan" <prbreuhan@hotmail.com>, <alpines@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: the fun never ends...snapped lug bolt...
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:44:26 -0700
Paul,

I'm curious, how did you snap the lug bolt? In a previous discussion of
7/16" vs. 1/2" bolt size, the List majority seemed to think that 7/16" was
entirely adequate. However, in my own case, and others like yours, it seems
that the smaller bolts are prone to failure, so I would suggest you take
this opportunity to replace all your bolts with 1/2". But on to the main
question of how to most expeditiously accomplish replacement; I would
recommend that you cut an access hole in the backing plate. That way, you
have permanent solution to replacing lug bolts that is also easier than
either of the one-time solutions you suggest.

Bob Palmer
rpalmer@ucsd.edu
robertpalmer@paulhastings.com
rpalmerbob@adelphia.net