RE: looking for some advice

To: "'Almjeld, Paul'" <PaAlmjel@dwu.edu>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: looking for some advice
From: "ron fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.biz>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 12:02:18 -0400
Paul
        There are many things that could be reducing your gas mileage.

        Brakes hanging up; check to see if any wheel is hotter than the rest
after run on I-90.

        The C-4 is slipping; check and change the fluid if needed.
I found one report on ATF that states ATF fluid is good for 50,000 miles and
then it is about shot and if the running temperature of the ATF is above 210
degrees ( I think thats the right temp) the ATF degrades at a very steep
rate.

        The distributor is not giving you the entire advance it should;
check mechanical advance and vacuum advance curves.    You can do this with
a dial back timing light and a tach reading meter by turning the RPM's up
and reading the advance change on the timing light.  You should see total
advance of around 36 degrees by 2000 to 2500 rpm.
        The centrifugal advance could be hanging up or the vacuum advance is
not working properly.

        Check the vacuum on the engine and check for any vacuum leaks; the
more vacuum the more vacuum advance you should get.   Full vacuum on the
highway can pull the total advance to 50 degrees.

There is an article in www.fordmuscle.com under Tech Dept; Ignition; "Timing
is everything"; I highly recommend reading it plus there are other good
articles in there too.

        The carb maybe jetted to rich or the carb is leaking some at the
gaskets.  If it is an Autolite carb and you have the carb Tag numbers I can
probably tell you what jets should be in the carb and some of the other
settings.

What type of carb is on the engine?
Do you know what size jets are in the carb?
Do you know what year 302 engine it is?

My Autolite 2 bbl carb has given me from 19 to 27 mpg; depending on
traveling conditions and gas quality.

Ron Fraser