Re: Still have oil/water problems

To: sfm081@rain.org
Subject: Re: Still have oil/water problems
From: Diane and Roland Dudley <csx2282@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 13:38:28 -0800
Hello Jay,

I checked the p/n on my Cobra's timing cover and it's C40E-8505A.
My cover is made of aluminum, so if yours is made if steel or cast iron
that may accounts for the different numbers.  If it is iron based, than
probably it can be brazed.  You will want to check it carefully for other

thin spots.

If your cover is aluminum, then I'm not surprised by the pin hole leak.
Aluminum is the more sacrificial of the metals in the electrolysis that
often
occurs in cooling systems.  Some of the aluminum parts in my Cobra's
cooling system where corroded badly enough to need replacing.

Once you fix this problem, make sure you replace the antifreeze every
couple
of years or so, and/or add anticorrosives to the coolant.

BTW, you might want to take a close look at your water pump to make
sure it isn't leaking or about to leak.  Mine had a lot of corrosion, but
was
salvageable.

Roland