Re: 289 Hi-PO Myths

To: Drmoonstone@aol.com
Subject: Re: 289 Hi-PO Myths
From: VegasLegal@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 21:26:30 EST
Ford was the worst on bastard cars from what I've seen and owned.  As a kid
(18 and 21, respectively) I had a 1969 Mustang notchback with a Boss 302 badged
as a GT.  No such car ever existed.  GT's were 390's.  Boss 302's were
fastbacks.  It had the boss heads, but painted valve covers.  It was also
original.
Wierd!

This was followed by a 1971 Torino GT.  The air cleaner on the 351C 4v had a
Ford sticker that also said "Nascar Interceptor."  There does not appear to
have ever been such a thing.  Nascar trim existed on the Taledega, and
Interceptor was shorthand for police car.  Other odities with the motor were a
factory
dual point and a coil that could not be replicated when it finally went.  The
Ford dealer said the Ford part # did not exist.  It also had a Hurst four
speed.

These were both family cars before I got them.  Each was purchased off of the
B lot at Ford World Headquarters by an employee after an "Executive" car turn
for six months.  Word was that both "in house cars" and "end of the year"
cars were thrown together with whatever fit.  Having had the two cars described
above, I can attest to that.

This was also common around Detroit.  One close friend had a Skylark that was
a Phase I Grand Sport in every sense but the badging.  Another friend had a
Fairlane with a 427 side oiler and a bench seat.  One buddy's Vega came in a
one of a kind orange color.  This was a GM employee lot purchase.  And beyond
belief, a neighborhood kid had a Ferrari with a Hemi.  His dad got this out of
the back of door of Chrysler when Enzo and Chrysler were aparently
investigating the concept of putting the Hemi's in Ferrari's.  Allegedly three
were built,
all ordered scrapped, and this one was snuck out.

Incidentally, while I would love to get back either of my former cars today,
it can't happen.  In 1975 my little brother piked the Mustang into a tree
during a drag race (he'd borrowed the car without telling anyone) and put the
bumper in the front seat.  In 1977 the entire engine bay of the Torino threw
every
rod, piston, and moving part possible, crashing out both the top and the
bottom, at 126 m.p.h. between Jackson and Kalamazoo on I 94.  Had to leave the
car
and take the plates.

I miss those cars.

Ahhhhhh, but now I have a Tiger.  Its more out there than anything Ford could
have built anyway.

Bob Nersesian